Learn just how much our swatch can teach us as we explore the difference between yardage and weight and pattern gauge versus yarn gauge. Discover the three main factors of choosing your yarn, and explore a world beyond gauge as we delve into the properties of different fibers.
Learn to substitutive with confidence!
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to understand your patterns gauge, designer intent and yarn gauge.
- How to properly estimate the amount of yarn you will need based on a pattern.
- How to use your swatch and a sketch to figure out your required yardage when you have no pattern.
- How to make the best yarn choices based on stitch pattern and yarn color.
- How to make great yarn choices by understanding properties of your fiber such as warmth, absorbency, elasticity, memory and drape.
This answered my questions about what to do if the yarn called for in a pattern is not available. I especially profited from the discussion of yards vs grams in figuring out how much yarn to buy, also how the weight of the yarn can drastically affect the yardage. Paying attention to fiber content is also important if you want the same qualities of drape, etc. in the finished garment. – Peggy
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ I learned a lot from this short class.
It might have been better had I been able to join in the live session, but I couldn’t. I still benefited from it, though. I still don’t totally understand everything that was presented, but I have a start in the right direction. – Judy
⭐⭐⭐⭐ Lady knows her yarn
I really liked this webinar. Patty Lyons is a good presenter, and I learned just what I was looking for: what yarn to choose for what use, how to pick a yarn different from the one the pattern recommends, and most importantly, how to judge the quantity of yarn needed for a pattern I’d design myself. I especially loved the tips about the comparison between yarns of yesteryear and today’s yarns.
[…]This webinar actually changed the way I knit for the better! – Myriam